Success is Mostly Luck

I mentioned that there’s a belief we hold dearly in western society and that is that the world is a meritocracy.

But most success is luck. There’s a great video by Veritasium (You should watch all his videos) that explains that more deeply. But basically, even if luck is only 5% and the rest is 95% skill. The people with the most luck with out. And it’s a bit easy to see if you think about it. There are millions(1)if not billions of people who work their butts off. Only a few are really successful. The reason is luck, and the ramifications of the Egocentric Bias.

I know 12 minute seems like a long time, but it’s really good.

Or if you want to read a too long version of it there’s a whole book on it(2)or just read a few quotes on it that’ll give you the gist of it.

Also, turns out I already wrote about this

“What chance has made yours, is not really yours”

Seneca….maybe

Footnotes   [ + ]

1. if not billions
2. or just read a few quotes on it that’ll give you the gist of it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *